Friday, October 1, 2010

Deeper thoughts about changing behaviour

It is interesting how growth and change happen...

Deepak Chopra has just summerised and clarified for me - two concepts I have been seeing and feeling through my coaching and especially in my time choices workshops, in his book "Reinventing the body, Resurrecting the soul". At the same time - I have been reading about neuroscience and how the latest research in that area can enlighten my coaching skills also... and it is all coming together! Neat!

Making change happen
He says there are 3 steps or options one can take to make change happen.
1. Reflection - Reflecting on what is working, what is not working, what should be different. Recognising the problem.
2. Contemplation - thinking about the issue bothering you, letting your mind wander over the issue, never getting too focused on any one detail.
3. Meditation - helping the change happen at a deeper level by getting back in connection with yourself.

My workshops and coaching approach is full of self reflection and contemplation and I think this is partly why they work ... so my challenge now is to do more of those things purposefully and to include meditation (also for myself).

Importance of getting rid of Procrastination
When I started doing the Time Choices workshop, it was a time management workshop with a coach approach and I have continued to make it more and more a coaching experience. One of the subjects we talk about is Procrastination and its negative effects, and how to change... Deepak Chopra takes this concept further and deeply connects procrastination to ill health. I can see from the discussions we have in the workshops about procrastination that it trully hurts people and the results they want from life, and this, combined with what Deepak Chopra's book proposes, suggests perhaps I need to re-order my workshop and give more "time" to reflection, contemplation and meditation on this subject.

No comments: