Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Great video from David Allen - Guru of DOING

Watched this video from David Allen at a DO conference (what a super idea!).

The ideas he says are:

  • Pay attention to what has your attention ("scratch your itch")
  • Decide outcomes desired, next actions required
  • Free your psyche with a trusted system
  • Share these ideas

This is so interesting, for 2 reasons.

  1. First, I almost avoided David Allen's work (despite some great ideas for the system of managing one's time) because I found people get SO caught up in the system that it takes over the psyche! Managing and improving the system becomes the itch. This video - makes it clear to me that is not his intent and that is just a pitfall to know and avoid.
  2. Secondly, this is so close to the coaching I do.... This set of beliefs is the corner stone of Best Year Yet's program, the first program I was attracted to in the coaching world, it is the corner stone of the Time Choices program I run (with all these great time management systems available, how come nobody has any time anymore...), it is in fact, the basis of most coaching interventions for most coaches, including myself!

Well - this motivated me to continue to scratch my itch to support others, and to continually improve my life in this way (am going through a bit of a change at the moment - trying to find a new type / level of balance so I keep focusing on what is important). Hopefully it will help you too!


No comments: